What should you put in your bath bag if you are heading to Szechenyi Baths? The best things to take with you to Szechenyi Spa Baths in Budapest are as follows (tips only):
the bare necessities include:
- money for the entrance fee (and for the cafe if you get hungry / thirsty)
- you can rent towels, swimwear, etc.
If you can and want to take some more, we recommend the following items to take with you to the baths:
- swimwear (bikini is OK, onepiece is OK, speedo is OK, swim trunks are OK, etc. as long as you wear some decent swim wear, it will be fine)
- towel: please bring your own towel, especially if you are planning to stay in Szechenyi Baths all day, rather than just hop in from your city tour. You can rent bath sheets on the premises for a small surcharge and a big deposit (cash only), often attracting queues. We recommend avoiding the queues by bringing your own towels if you can.
- Flip flops / slippers (there are many foot baths around the pools. Plus walking barefoot on the stone pavements and non slip areas by the pools after soaking your legs in the warm thermal waters will simply harden the skin of your soles)
- soap, shampoo (there are showers but no complimentary soap or shampoo dispensers)
- a hairdrier if you have special hair care needs (otherwise there are public standard hair driers, which are free to use)
- a waterproof wallet or purse if you want to take your money with you in the baths too (you can also store your money in the lockers or cabins, and small groups have the advantage to take care of each other’s belongings)
- swimming cap if you want to swim in the cool sports pool (to do laps), otherwise not needed in any of the thermal baths, plunge pools, etc. Only in the outdoor central swimming pool
- you can buy drinks and foods in the simple cafe of Szechenyi Spa Baths or you can bring your own drinks and picnic basket. On hot summer days make sure you drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Being in and by the pools will not hydrate you from the inside.
- don’t bring your cigarettes, as smoking is prohibited in Szechenyi Baths (inside and outside, by the pools too)
- optional personal items you would miss: comb or hairbrush, body lotion, make up, hair gel, etc.
- don’t bring your jewellery to the baths – rings may slip off your fingers, etc. We highly recommend leaving behind your jewels, wrist watches and other valuables
For winter visits we also recommend having a bathrobe as the outdoor pools can only be entered from the outside (no tunnels or other heated corridors leading to the open air warm baths). In winter time it is important to have slippers of some kind to protect your feet. The distance you need to take from indoors to the outdoor pool is quite short, but just because locals (and Scandinavians) are used to cooler temperatures by the bath, you may need some warm garment so that you can enjoy the winter baths beautifully steaming… An unforgettable experience, and one of our personal winter things to do in Budapest.
Make sure you do not lose your wristband. There is a serious penalty fee for a lost wristband. Likewise, if your bath sheet rented from the Bath, gets stolen or is taken away accidentally, we are sorry, but you will not be entitled to the hefty deposit.